Monday, February 27, 2017

Faith and the Fine Art of Gut Busting



Dear Dad,



Sound like I have a game I need to watch when I get back home. (Manchester City beat Monaco, 5 - 3, in a Champions League match.  Sergio Aguero scored two goals, and assisted on a third.) Aguero will always have a special place in my heart and it sounds like he is still the same Aguero we've come to know and love at City. 



Sorry  about having to clean up a dead mouse. (A mouse was raiding our compost pit.  I dispatched him.)  I'm sure it's not fun. I didn't tell you all this but my first week in my house we had a huge rat in our apartment. I was praying when I heard a noise that I knew wasn't my companion. When I finished my prayer there was a big rat in the corner of the room. We got rid of it though and haven't had any more experiences with any creatures in our apartment so everything is good. 



I'm glad you enjoy the letters and I'm glad to make you proud. I will give your best wishes to my companion. It will be interesting to see what happens at transfers tomorrow,  and to have a new companion for the first time in the field. 



As far as things go here, they are pretty good. We had a baptism this past weekend and are going to have another one this upcoming weekend. I told you a little bit about the guy that got baptized in the past email. His story isn't the happiest, but I'm glad he has chosen to follow the example of Jesus Christ. I'm glad to have had the chance to meet him and teach him. 



Work this week wasn't the best. My companion is pretty sure he is going to go to a new area so we have kind of been doing a victory lap, visiting all the members he has befriended and all that. Not really good for missionary productivity.  



We also had zone conferences this week and my mission president emphasized the importance of faith in our lives. It has changed my perspective on how I should think about doing missionary work and how I should react to difficult situations. As members of the Church, we have to have faith that the blessings and promises of the gospel and of making and keeping covenants are real. If we do not have faith, we cannot progress. Faith is the first principle in the Doctrine of Christ for a reason. 

We have to believe that when we keep the commandments and follow the promptings of the Spirit we will be blessed. If we have the mentality that blessings will not come, they will not come. We have to believe in our Savior. This was was something I hadn't been applying in my work. I'm trying to change that now. I believe that if I do all I can, the Lord will provide.

I believe that all of us can be provided for, if we do all we can. 



I've been watching the Bible videos that the church made a couple of years ago. They aren't perfect, but I think a couple of them are pretty good. I like the one where Christ talks about searching for the kingdom of heaven. I think they would be good to show in Seminary. Speaking of Seminary, how is the class going? How is the study of the New Testament going? I hope it is going good. I hope everything is going well in general with work and church and life. I miss you dad and love you so much. I pray for you and Mom and Sam and Naomi every day. 

I'm trying to become a better missionary. Please pray for me so that I may become the missionary the Lord wants be to be. The days seem shorter and shorter as the weeks go by. It is a bittersweet feeling. I've decided from now on, I'm gonna bust a gut everyday. And if I don't, I'm going to repent and try even harder the next day. The isn't much time left for me to spread this wonderful message. There isn't much time left to change. I know that through the Atonement of Christ, we all can change. I hope you have a wonderful week, Dad. I love you so much.



Love,

Elder McMurray 

No comments:

Post a Comment